Thursday, February 14, 2013

Week VI: Smaller Scope and the evaluation

Unusual Week.
Only 3hrs blended lesson but tons of group meetings. Week VI is the one we use to check whether we are on the right track...or not. For R541, we as a group interviewed Dr.Haynes and two second-year master students and started to write our literal project proposal not just the fuzzy ideas.

Now we have defined our project to be a "Process Performance" issued informational project, which is not a typical instructional project.We can not operate assessment for learners.Our objective is to clarify the career plan process and difficulties for the audience, give proper intervention or recommendation and help them to maximum their performance in the end, to get more satisfactory in pursuing their goals(further study or to find a job). Isn't that clear or not?

However the major bottleneck for our team is the scope. As Dr. G mentioned several times, she doesn't want to see 3 separated projects from our team but a whole project. We are still exploring to collaborate different part of information. Maybe we would not instruct the audience with the extreme details but give out a well-organized web which could connect each parts very tightly.

Though we can not assess our audiences in terms of their achievement or what they have learnt because it is just too personal to make standards for it, we still want to evaluate how much do they believe the adventure on our website helps their career plan.Do they feel more clear about their career plan or just more confused(We don't hope so)? You can call it "service satisfactory evaluation" if you think so. To achieve this goal, we must tailor the information for as individual need as possible . We would operate more interviews with alumini of IST masters to hear their voice and give more personalized solutions.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Mintian, it is nice to be your Hoosier Buddy!

    I hope you had a good week. It sounds like you are keeping busy.

    I like that you performed a few interviews to help identify the most useful and appropriate direction and scope for your project. I think that was a very wise step at this stage. So I am very interested in this “process performance” related informational project direction. This seems to be a very different direction than other projects are going in.

    I realize that you are still in the early development phases, but I wonder if you have given much consideration to using some of the story approaches presented this week. I can visualize a video where you are introduced to a new IST student who is trying to decide which direction they want to take their career in. Then maybe they make a decision to focus on evaluation and then you catch up with the character again a few years later. The character could talk a bit about the coursework he/she took and how that lead to the job they are now in.

    This could also be made interactive. After the introductory segment where the student is trying to decide what to do, the learner/viewer would be presented with a choice of multiple video links to click on to see where the various paths would lead. These suggestions might be completely off the mark from where you are trying to take the training, but I just trying to provide a different perspective!

    You mention that evaluation would not be appropriate for this module. Do you plan to allow the participants to evaluate the course experience? If so, you may still be able to obtain some information related to their learning outcomes. This would not be for the sake of evaluating the learners, but more formative evaluation to guide potential course revisions. Perhaps this could be accomplished through the creation of or link to a discussion community that you could monitor. It might be interesting to see what those who have gone through the training are saying.

    I hope I have been able to provide some fresh ideas that will be helpful as you move forward with your project. I am anxious to see how it develops as the semester progresses.

    Have a great weekend and take care!

    ReplyDelete