Sunday, January 13, 2013

Repost:R541 Weekly Posting: Week 1(Jan.7th-11th)

I have to change to this blogger since the former one would mislead dearest Hoosier Buddy with non-English instruction... Anyway, this one is for everyone in R541 community!

Original Address: http://guomintian1984.blogspot.com/2013/01/r541-weekly-posting-week-1jan7th-11th.html

Hello everyone in R541:

     Good to see you here! I created this blog 5 years ago but I only posted once previously. Sounds like a long time ago, doesn't it? Since the middle of 2009, most of google products have been blocked in mainland China...so blogspot.com looks like a long lost friend to me, which was given the name by myself(?), briefly translated as "Settled, Curious, Patient & Extensive"(in Chinese: Anming Qiuzhi, Jieji Bowen). 
      
      Well, I need to say something about myself. My name is Mintian Guo, a second-semester master student of IST@IU. I am from Shanghai, China, the city of which is extremely populous(6,500 km square for 18 million residents+7-8 million long-term residential migrant people, among which 170 thousand are foreigners). For example, my town alone is one-third of the size of Bloomington but there are as many as 3 times people living there... 
       
       Because of the family-planning policy of China(not att's family plan but a neutral expression of "birth control"), I am the only child of the family. Since childhood, my parents have been giving me most care, funding as well as restriction, which made me quite different from those who grew up in a more competitive and liberal context which made me feel lonely most of the time when I needed some partner(s).
  
       I graduated from East China Normal University with a BA degree in Teaching Chinese as a Second/Foreign Language, from which I learnt much about linguistics(language learning and acquizition, pedagogy) western and Chinese Culture, Contemporary/Ancient Chinese Literature, English/American Literature... what remain in my short lists of interests. My minor major was applied psychology, so I always hold the passion for that field.

       During the 5 years between my graduation from ECNU and arrival at IU, I was a high school English teacher. The reason why I chose that job was very complicated and since I already quit that one, I think I don't have to explain it any more:). But I would appreciate my former employer who gave me a chance to be an exchange teacher in Denmark for 10 weeks, which experience I would remember forever as I have great time in that kingdom of fairy tale , as well as many other European countries where I traveled during the Danish festival.

        Everything so far is positive to me in IU. I love IU, B-town, school of Education, IST, professors and classmates. I have almost zero cultural shock here. Last semester I took R511, R521 and Y515(Inquiry Methodology by Dr. Phil Carspecken, abstractive, challenging but good for your view of the world). In this semester I will be in R541, R561, R620 &R685.

        Hope everyone can enjoy our learning "journey"(quoted from Dr.Haynes)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mintian! Good to see you in this course, and am looking forward to your unique perspectives. I too created a blogger account long ago, and used it to post instructional music videos for my music students. Each morning I would surf youtube to see what was out there, and posted anything closely related to the topics being discussed in class. At some point I stopped, because the students generally only visited once!

    I'd be curious to know more about the Carspecken class you took, as I took Y520, also an inquiry methodology. I'm also curious, what drives you interest in methodology?

    Also, I'd be curious to hear more about the culture of densely populated Chinese cities like your home. The most densely populated area I've ever lived was when I lived in the heart of Cincinnati during my Undergrad years.

    Good to see you again, see you in class!

    ReplyDelete